From what makes it famous to why the locals love it, we show you the best of Melbourne!
- Learn about Melbourne’s history with a drink in hand.
- Try local beers, wines, and cocktails at four unique Melbourne establishments.
- Check out the iconic Exhibition Building, Melbourne’s only World Heritage Site.
- Discover hidden bars known only to local Melburnians.
- Public Tour Guest Ages 18+
- Private Tour Guest Ages 18+
Melbourne Bar Tour Highlights
Through gold rushes and rebellions, Olympics and royal visits, Melburnians have turned to ales, whiskeys, wines, and cocktails for comfort. Experience Melbourne’s unique bar scene with a local guide and visit its unique watering holes. Throughout this tour, discover that history really is better with booze (as if there was ever any doubt)!
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide.
Exclusions: Drinks, food, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide. Because everyone’s drinking preferences and tolerances are different, rather than include drinks, we keep our tour price low and allow you to purchase drinks as you go. Most establishments accept bank cards, but there is occasionally a minimum spend. You may wish to bring cash if you want to avoid this.
- Duration: Three hours
- Meeting point: Corner of Nicholson and Gertrude St Fitzroy, across from the Exhibition Building
- Starting time: 3 pm
- Ending point: City – Central Business District, within the free tram zone
Starting at Melbourne’s only World Heritage Site, the Exhibition Building, this tour includes stops at four iconic drinking Melbourne institutions. The order of the venues may change, but you visit and have the opportunity to try concoctions from the following pit stops:
- A classic Aussie pub – Throw back a pot or a pint, as here’s where you can learn about the standard pour sizes of Victorian beers and how beer nearly led to all alcohol being banned during the gold rush.
- A cocktail bar – Melbourne has some of the best mixologists around, but most of them are hidden in tiny, hidden cocktail bars that survive on word of mouth alone. Visit a speakeasy-style bar and learn about how and why Melbourne’s laneway scene developed.
- A wine bar – With the Yarra Valley just a stone’s throw away, it would be a sin not to taste some of the delectable wines in the region. Learn how wine shaped Australia’s history and how to taste wine like a member of the social elite.
- A surprise! – Melbourne’s bar scene is ever-changing, so the fourth bar is chosen by your guide on the day, depending on the group’s desires, the weather, and what is trendy in Melbourne at that particular moment in time.
If you’re still thirsty by the end of the tour, don’t forget to ask your local guide for some more recommendations. You don’t have to worry about a dry mouth for the rest of your stay in Melbourne.
Dress standard: Melbourne is known to have four seasons in one day – please check the weather report and dress accordingly!
Your trip: For your Urban Adventure, you are in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. See you at the starting point! Get in touch with us if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child policy: Travellers under 18 years of age are not permitted to join this tour.
Mrs. Kimberly W. from Hong Kong travelled on 31 Jul 2019:
Flo was a very knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and flexible tour guide. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the history of Melbourne while exploring areas we would not have seen on our own. We would highly recommend tours with Flo!