Multicultural Markets of Melbourne
Discover South Melbourne and Queen Victoria Markets
The markets of Melbourne are buzzing, colourful reflections of the city’s soul. Half of Aussies are first- or second-generation immigrants, and this diverse cultural tapestry is on full display in its markets. Go behind the scenes, taste the food, meet the vendors and discover the local culture.
Melbourne Markets Tour Highlights
- Get to know Melbourne’s culinary culture with a visit to the markets
- Graze the market, graze the world as you sample over a dozen international (and some Aussie) foods
- Learn about the gastronomic culture, history, and traditions of the region from your local foodie host
- Learn the history of markets in Australia and why their multicultural food reflects Australia’s diverse society
- Finish the Melbourne tour in the market at lunchtime, where you can satiate any leftover appetite with dozens of lunch options
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, 12+ food tastings, beer or soft drink at a local pub.
Exclusions: Tram fare (a local transport pass is required for this tour — please purchase a “Myki” transportation card before your tour begins), additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 3 hours
- Meeting point: Under the clock tower inside Southern Cross Station, 83 Spencer Street, Melbourne, VIC 3004. View on Google Maps.
- Starting time: 9.30 AM
- Ending point: South Melbourne Market (Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun) OR Queen Victoria Markets (Thursdays)
- Full Itinerary
Celebrate the local foodie culture in Melbourne’s multicultural markets on a three-hour walking tour. With your local host and intimate group, discover the best of Melbourne’s bustling markets. Learn about local gastronomic culture, as well as the history and culinary traditions that are unique to the city.
We ride to the market on the local tram, in the morning hours when the crowds at the market are thinner. This allows you to interact with the vendors, as you gain rare insight into the history of the city and how the character of Melbourne has developed. Melbourne’s oldest markets are packed with stories, and we include plenty of samples, tastings, and time for you to explore, so you can get the true experience.
On this Melbourne tour, we also uncover hidden historical buildings, and pop into a selection of specially chosen boutiques that showcase local designers and artists.
By the time your tour finishes, the markets will have come fully to life as locals arrive for freshly sourced lunches and to do their grocery shopping. The cafés, bars, and shops stay open throughout the afternoon, and you’re free to explore more fully after the Melbourne markets tour concludes. Continue shopping on your own, or head back to your hotel for a rest before your evening in Melbourne.
- Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, 12+ food tastings, beer or soft drink at a local pub.
- Exclusions: Tram fare (a local transport pass is required for this tour — please purchase a “Myki” transportation card before your tour begins), additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Dress standard: Please wear comfortable clothing appropriate for the weather conditions on the day. Keep in mind that Melbourne’s weather can be unpredictable. This tour will run rain, hail or shine.
- Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
- Dietary Notes: This tour can accommodate dietary restrictions such as vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free requests. Please notify us in advance of any dietary needs. You can do so in the “Additional requests” box at checkout or by emailing us at [email protected].
Mr. Michelle W. from USA travelled on 14 Dec 2017:
We had a great time touring the South Melbourne market. Daniel was a great guide and made it so personal. We loved the good and the interaction!! Thank you so much for making our day great!