United States of Food
Experience Melbourne's Newest Culinary Tradition
It's no secret that Australians share common values with our neighbours across the Pacific. And now, Melburnians are embracing that culture with an American food renaissance. Join our Yankee guides and experience the rich cultural heritage taking hold in our city on this Melbourne food tour. Learn about American and Aussie barbecues’ shared heritage, and discover a secret bar playing host to an American tradition from 1869: pinball. And whatever you do, bring your appetite. Yee-haw!
American Food in Melbourne Tour Highlights
- Explore the best of the Americana trend that is taking over Melbourne
- Taste samples of American foods at some of Melbourne’s best-known restaurants and eateries
- Explore American-inspired bars
- Discover how food makes its way from the farm to your plate at the Queen Victoria Markets
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, four food samplings at four local restaurants, and public transportation during the Melbourne food tour.
Exclusions: Additional drinks or food, souvenirs and personal shopping, and tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 4 hours
- Meeting point: 155 Franklin St, Melbourne. View on Google Maps.
- Starting time: 11.30 AM
- Ending point: Next to the fountain in Gordon Reserve, 74-108 Spring St, East Melbourne VIC 3002.
- Full Itinerary
It’s no secret that Australians share common values with our neighbours across the Pacific. And now, Melburnians are embracing that culture with an American food renaissance. Join our Yankee guides and experience the rich cultural heritage taking hold in our city. Learn about American and Aussie barbecues’ shared heritage, and discover a secret bar playing host to an American tradition from 1869: pinball. And whatever you do, bring your appetite. Yee-haw!
The first stop on our Melbourne tour is one of Australia’s oldest hamburger stands, serving up that most classic of American meals. Sample some of their hamburger varieties before heading on to learn about how our food gets to the plate in many of Melbourne’s restaurants.
We get a farm-to-table lesson with a walk through the Queen Victoria Markets. Learn how the markets aren’t just for tourists; this is where many local restaurants stock their kitchens.
Continue on to an authentic local bagel shop, and learn how Australia and America’s bagel tradition derives from a shared heritage from Poland.
From there, we move on to a secret bar in the American speakeasy tradition. Did you know that during Prohibition in the USA, illegal bars required clients to keep their voices down, or “speak easy”? Those bars are now all the rage in Melbourne, so of course we need to stop at one.
Finally, we end our Melbourne food tour at an authentic American barbecue restaurant. Here, you learn about the unique cooking techniques that go into making barbecued meat fall right off the bone — so maybe you can recreate some of the Aussie-American flavour on your own grill at home.
Your tour ends here, but don’t forget to ask your local guide for recommendations of other places to eat while you’re in town.
- Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, 4 food samplings at 4 local restaurants, public transportation during the tour.
- Exclusions: Additional drinks or food, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Dress standard: Melbourne is known to have four seasons in one day – please check the weather report and dress accordingly!
- Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
Ms. Melinda C. from Australia travelled on 14 Feb 2018:
Our guide Evan was amazing! He knew the places to explore and gave us a really good look into American food and it’s history!